Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Dakota (BCBSND) continues to see changes to billing, coding regulations and mandates. With billing and coding changes, BCBSND is manually reviewing claims and identifying scenarios that were not processed correctly because of missing modifiers, place of service, etc. As a result, BCBSND would like to provide guidance on how and when to make a claim correction during the pandemic.
If a correction is needed for COVID-19 related or telehealth services:
- Void the original claim using a frequency type 8
- Once the void has been processed, submit a new updated claim
Here are a few situations on when a claim should be voided and a new claim filed:
- Incorrect CPT/HCPCS code
- Missing or incorrect COVID-19 related ICD-10-CM code if applicable
- Incorrect place of service or modifier for telehealth related visits
- Missing or incorrect COVID-19 related modifier
This applies to only COVID-19 related and telehealth services. The normal claim correction process remains the same for all other services.
We do apologize that this process may be time consuming, but it is necessary to make sure members are receiving the correct benefit during the pandemic.
For further questions, please reach out to Provider Services at 1-800-368-2312 or firstname.lastname@example.org.