Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Dakota (BCBSND) will implement the American Medical Association (AMA) and the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) revisions to the Evaluation and Management (E&M) office visit CPT® 99201 – 99215 code descriptor and documentation standards. The code revisions are effective January 1, 2021. BCBSND encourages provider offices to stay informed of these changes.
The AMA has published information regarding these changes. Documentation for E&M 99201-99215 office visits codes will now be centered on medical necessity and not on mandatory standards that encouraged copy/paste, checking boxes, and/or re-recording of history and physical exam.
- 10 Tips to prepare your practice for E/M office visit changes
- American Medical Association (AMA) CPT evaluation and management revisions page
- Implementing CPT evaluation and management (E/M) revisions
- Office Evaluation and Management (E/M) CPT code revisions educational module
- Revisions to reporting CPT E/M office visits: MDM