BCBSND announces Sustainable Health Initiative
Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Dakota (BCBSND) today announced its Sustainable Health Initiative, an extensive collaborative effort between North Dakota's major health care provider organizations and BCBSND, to ensure an accessible, high quality and affordable health care system across North Dakota.
The Sustainable Health Initiative is being driven by several central themes:
- The current system for health care in North Dakota is not sustainable; the major issue is cost.
- Working hand-in-hand with providers, BCBSND has developed a plan with the initial goal of reducing long-term average medical inflation by 1.5 percent, which will result in $30 million in savings over the next three years.
- North Dakota can succeed in this initiative because common sense and collaborative solutions are natural here.
- North Dakota has a high quality, high service health care system.
- This collaboration has programs and initiatives already underway.
BCBSND is optimistic that we can address the issue of cost to sustain an accessible, high quality health care system in North Dakota, regardless of the outcome of implementation or any challenges to health care reform. The bottom line is that cost is the compelling issue driving the debate, and we are not waiting until 2014 to act.
We are proud to be collaborating with the state's major health care providers to lead the nation in developing innovative, common sense, local solutions.
For more information on today's announcement and the Sustainable Health Initiative, click here.