Caring Foundation Rural Health Provider Partnership Grant Program awards nearly $42,000 to rural communities
Being a primarily rural state, it is especially important to support our small towns in North Dakota. Here at Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Dakota (BCBSND) Caring Foundation, we wholeheartedly believe in continually supporting rural communities through our Rural Health Provider Partnership Grant Program. Since 2001, we've given back over $3 million to help grow smaller communities and make them healthier.
For our 2019–2020 grant period, we're donating a total of almost $42,000 to fourteen rural communities across North Dakota to support their wellness initiatives.
Congratulations to our 2019 awardees:
Towner County Medical Center, Cando
- Towner County Medical Center is adding a recumbent bike to their building fitness center.
Carrington Health Center, Carrington
- Carrington Health Center is purchasing an industrial-grade treadmill for their staff fitness center, as well as offering health promotion workshops focusing on meal prep and physical activity.
St Luke's Medical Center, Crosby
- St. Luke's is hosting a 5k fun run/walk fundraising event with proceeds benefiting an upgrade to irrigation system control units for the Crosby Country Club.
CHI St. Alexius Health Dickinson Foundation, Dickinson
- CHI St. Alexius Health Dickinson is hosting a Glow Run 5k event with the proceeds used locally to promote awareness and assistance to diabetic patients in the community.
West River Health Services, Hettinger
- West River Health Services is holding a four-week "Walk Across America" challenge for their employees and those of local businesses, competing in a virtual walk across America.
LaMoure County Public Health Department, LaMoure
- LaMoure County Health Department, in partnership with the LaMoure City Park board is installing a disc golf course for LaMoure-area residents.
CHI Lisbon Health, Lisbon
- CHI Lisbon Health, together with the NDSU Extension office, Lisbon Park Board and Ransom County Public Health is sponsoring a "Summer Water & Wellness Day," focusing on water aerobics, healthy eating, hydration in the heat and summer skin protection.
North Dakota Veteran's Home, Lisbon
- North Dakota State Veteran's Home is purchasing exercise equipment to start a gym program as well as free consultations with a personal health and wellness coach.
Nelson County Health System, McVille
- The Nelson County Health System is purchasing playground equipment for their employee child care facility.
Presentation Medical Center, Rolla
- Presentation Medical Center, together with the Mount Pleasant Elementary School (Rolla school) is purchasing swing sets and teeter-totters to promote physical activity for children ages K-12.
Presentation Medical Center, Rolla
- Presentation Medical Center, together with the Rolla Day Care, is purchasing a merry-go-round for the day care's children.
Heart of America Medical Center, Rugby
- Heart of America Medical Center, in conjunction with Pierce County Public Health, is holding a health and wellness fair in Rugby to promote healthy lifestyles and information on improving overall health and fitness and fitness opportunities.
Mountrail County Health Foundation, Stanley
- Mountrail County Health Foundation, partnered with the Stanley High School, is hosting "Skittle Skool," where presenters inform students from 7-12 grade about the hidden dangers that may be encountered in society today and provide coping skills to address them.
CHI St. Alexius Health, Williston
- CHI St. Alexius Health Williston is partnering with Bakken Elementary School, Williston Trinity Christian School and the Williston Parks and Recreation District to create a "Step Across America" challenge—a 40-day competition between all fifth and sixth graders to collectively walk a distance equivalent to that across America.
BCBSND Caring Foundation partners with the Center for Rural Health at the University of North Dakota, School of Medicine and Health Sciences to provide grant funding for projects through collaborative efforts involving rural healthcare providers and local partnerships to support physical activity and wellness across all ages.
Applications for 2020 funding will be posted in late Winter 2019. For more information on the grant program criteria click here. For more information about the BCBSND Caring Foundation, visit ndcaring.org.