Kids grown up? Keep them insured after 26
When your kids turn 26, they no longer qualify to stay on your insurance plan. That means it's time to shop for their own plan. While they may think they're invincible, you know they still need health protection. So help them make one more step toward adulthood with these considerations.
Your health insurance needs are bound to be different than your adult child's. It's best to sit down and discuss their health and financial considerations for coverage based on these topics:
- Overall health: Are they mostly healthy or do they need more coverage to help manage a chronic condition?
- Financial needs: Can they afford the monthly premium within their budget or do they need help paying for a health plan?
- Upcoming life changes: Are they planning on getting married or having children soon?
- Career changes: Will they be moving out of state or the country to pursue a job or other opportunity?
Understanding health insurance and health care isn't always easy and there's definitely a learning curve. Get the most of your member benefits by making use of these resources available from BCBSND, like:
Every health plan offers different benefits and coverage options. It's important to evaluate not only health coverage, but also the benefits your son or daughter use to stay healthy, in addition to considering the monthly premium. You can evaluate BCBSND health plans or consider the BCBSND plans available on the government health care marketplace.
Many health insurance companies have special plans available to those under age 30. These plans, like BlueEssential from BCBSND, offer lower monthly premiums with high deductibles. It is designed for young, healthy individuals who need minimal health care, all while offering protection from financial ruin if they experience a serious accident or illness.
Health insurance doesn't just work when you're sick. Make sure your adult child knows about all their benefits and takes advantage of their options to improve their health and wellness with:
- Online Member Services access
- Health Club Credit option (if offered with their plan)
- Online Health Assessment access
- Prenatal Plus program
- Rare and complex disease management
- Member advocacy
Compare health plans to find the best one for your soon-to-be 26-year-old.
Want to check the free services offered by your BCBSND health plan? Just contact our Member Services online or call 800-342-4718.