The MediQHome program is based on the principles of the Patient-Centered Medical Home which requires a personal physician to manage a team of individuals who provide comprehensive primary care for patients. The program zeros in on preventive services and treatment and management of chronic conditions.
MediQHome is available to all BCBSND participating providers and their patients regardless of their insurance coverage.
What is MediQHome?
MediQHome is collaboration between everyone involved in a patient's care. This improved medical collaboration is made possible by a sophisticated electronic backbone, MDinsight®, which helps everyone stay informed.
When health care providers work together through MediQHome, diagnosis is faster and conditions can be better managed earlier on. In fact, this model often prevents problems from occurring in the first place. That kind of collaboration not only gives patients a better quality of life, it helps hold down the cost of medical care.
In a MediQHome 3-year pilot project for diabetes, costs for care were not only less than expected, they actually dropped. Those cost reductions saved more than a quarter million dollars in just two years. Since the program was launched statewide in 2009, it's had similar results within individual health practices and health systems.
Goals of MediQHome
The overriding goal of MediQHome is to provide the right care at the right time for the right reason, resulting in a healthier North Dakota. Specifically, it will
- Improve the quality of patient care
- Promote collaborative decision making between patients and doctors
- Create better doctor-patient relationships
- Provide clear treatment plans for patients to follow
- Enable a better quality of life
- Create more cost-effective care
- Actionable patient data at the point of care
- Improved decision support
- Accurate tracking of patient adherence
- Improved patient outcomes
- Reduced variability of care
- Greater patient satisfaction
- Elimination of manual chart reviews
- Quick and simple to get started
- Minimal changes to workflow
- Patient summaries and/or alerts can be printed and placed in patient charts for all patients to be seen that day
- Supports the physicians' success in achieving quality measures that lead to financial reward
- MDinsight is easily accessed through the Internet
- Easy data collection from any electronic source
- Flexibility to use evidence-based guidelines or customize protocols
- Custom reports available
MediQHome is governed by a Quality Advisory Committee that includes patients, community members and physicians.
Who Benefits from MediQHome?
Statistics show this model of care improves the effectiveness of health care while driving down costs. That's a combination that benefits everyone, including:
MediQHome is a model of care that is completely focused on the patient – especially those patients with chronic conditions that are preventable, manageable and costly.
Together, the patient and doctor build treatment plans, schedule follow-up appointments and develop a long-term relationship. By keeping the treatment plan on track, the patient will feel better and live a healthier life. When symptoms do occur, they can be better controlled and chances of severe side effects from leaving the disease untreated drop dramatically. In the end, the patient is living healthier and holding down health care costs.
You go into medicine to care for people. MediQHome helps meet that objective. The program provides the tools and financial resources that allow caregivers to focus on a strong relationship with the patient and his or her care.
Through MediQHome, caregivers also establish better collaboration with one another through a sophisticated, yet easy-to-use web-based portal. This tool allows caregivers to interact and share information about the patient's condition, treatment goals and progress—even though they use very different IT systems.
Since this program helps control chronic conditions, it not only helps patients live healthier, it helps their employers, too. The bottom line for business is that when employees are healthy, they're more productive, more focused and take fewer sick days. It can also help contain health care costs and keep premiums down.
MDdatacor is an independent company assisting in the administration of BCBSND's health and wellness, and care and disease management programs. MDinsight® is a software tool provided by MDdatacor.
This model of care is endorsed by all four major medical credentialing groups:
American Academy of Family Physicians
American Academy of Pediatrics
American College of Physicians
American Osteopathic Association