Prior approval is the process by which the member or the member's health care provider provides information to BCBSND to establish the medical appropriateness and necessity of specified services, prior to receiving care, in order to receive benefits for the service. Benefits will be denied if the member is not eligible for coverage under the benefit plan on the date services are provided or if services received are not medically appropriate and necessary.
To request prior approval, the member or the health care provider must notify BCBSND, in writing, of the member's intent to receive services requiring prior approval.
Members must consult their applicable benefit plans or contact Member Services for specific coverage information. Contact information is located on the back of the member's ID card.
Procedures Requiring Written Prior Approval
The list below is a standard prior approval list. Some benefit plans have variations to the list. You may verify if prior approval is required for a service by contacting Provider Services at 800-368-2312.
- Assisted reproductive technology for GIFT, ZIFT, ICSI and IVF
- Chronic pain management program
- Cosmetic surgeries
- Reduction mammoplasty
- Upper lid blepharoplasty
- Dental anesthesia and hospitalization for all members age 9 and older
- Electric wheelchairs
- Growth hormone therapy/treatment
- Hearing aids for members younger than 18
- Human organ and tissue transplants, except kidney and cornea transplants
- Insulin infusion pump
- Intradiscal Electrothermal Therapy (IDET)
- Morbid obesity surgery
- Obstructive sleep apnea treatment; except CPAP rental and purchase
- Orthodontic services for the treatment of temporomandibular or craniomandibular joint disorders
- Osseointegrated implants
- Out of country services – all elective admissions and services received outside the United States
- Prosthetic limbs controlled by microprocessors and any prosthetic limb replacement within 5 years
- Out of state psychiatric or substance abuse admissions
- Restricted use drugs
- Sleep studies
- Weight loss prescription medications or drugs
Note: No prior approval is required when BCBSND is secondary to other insurance, unless other insurance benefits have been exhausted. This list does not apply to the Federal Employee Program (FEP).