(Fargo, N.D.) -- Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Dakota (BCBSND) reminds consumers of the Monday, Dec. 23 deadline to enroll in a new plan through the federal Health Insurance Marketplace for coverage beginning Jan. 1, 2014.
In addition, BCBSND is voluntarily extending the deadline for consumers to pay their premium for health insurance plans purchased on the Marketplace for coverage starting Jan. 1, 2014. Plans eligible for the extension include Blue Care, Blue Direct and Blue Essential.
What North Dakotans need to know:
- Monday, Dec. 23, is the deadline for enrolling in a new insurance plan through the Federal Health Insurance Marketplace for coverage that begins Jan. 1, 2014
- This deadline extension for payment only applies to those who buy their own health insurance (not through an employer) and want to have an effective date of Jan. 1, 2014 for their new health insurance plan.
- North Dakotans only need to enroll in coverage through the Marketplace if they wish to apply for a federal tax credit to help pay for your health insurance. Tax credit eligibility is easy to calculate using the BCBSND tax credit calculator
- If consumers are not eligible for a tax credit, they can enroll in a BCBSND health insurance plan any time
- For coverage beginning Jan. 1, 2014, members are encouraged to pay their first month's premiums by Dec. 27, however now have the option to pay by Jan. 10, 2014
- Members enrolled in a new plan will receive their premium invoice by mail; members can make their premium payment by mail or over the phone by calling 844-363-8457
"We know there continues to be a lot of confusion surrounding the Affordable Care Act," said Paul von Ebers, BCBSND President and CEO. "In an effort to continue to help educate our members and ease the process for North Dakotans, we've decided to provide additional time for these Marketplace payments. Ongoing technical issues with healthcare.gov may delay consumers in making their health insurance decisions and therefore delay the payment for coverage. Our goal is to provide the support they need."
BCBSND has several resources available for North Dakotans:
- Call us at 800-280-BLUE (2583) with any questions about health care reform
- Shop for insurance at www.BCBSND.com/shop
- Stop by any of our eight local offices across the state
About Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Dakota
BCBSND is a member-owned, not-for-profit independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association. As North Dakota's largest provider of health care coverage, BCBSND is taking BOLD steps to collaborate with doctors, hospitals, clinics and members to ensure affordable access to quality health care in the state. To learn more about BCBSND, visit www.BCBSND.com.