Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Dakota (BCBSND) Patient Access API
BCBSND is required to provide you with access to detailed information about your health history through a “Patient Access API.” While you are a current member, you may access this information by downloading an Application (App) on your smart phone, tablet, computer or other similar device. The information available through the Patient Access API includes information we collect about you while you have been enrolled in certain lines of business since January 1, 2016. The information includes the following information for as long as we maintain it in our records:
- Claims and “encounter” data concerning your interactions with health care providers; and
- Clinical data that we collect in the process of providing case management, care coordination, or other services to you.
The information we will disclose may include information about treatment for Substance Use Disorders, mental health treatment, HIV status, or other sensitive information.
BCBSND requests that App developers attest to having Privacy and Security policies in place. If the App developer does not complete the attestation, we will notify the member prior to releasing his/her information.
Things you may wish to consider when selecting an App:
- Will this App sell my data for any reason?
- Will this App disclose my data to third parties for purposes such as research or advertising?
- How will this App use my data? For what purposes?
- Will the App allow me to limit how it uses, discloses, or sells my data?
- If I no longer want to use this App, or if I no longer want this App to have access to my health information, can I terminate the App’s access to my data? If so, how difficult will it be to terminate access?
- What is the App’s policy for deleting my data once I terminate access? Do I have to do more than just delete the App from my device?
- How will this App inform me of changes in its privacy practices?
- Will the App collect non-health data from my device, such as my location?
- What security measures does this App use to protect my data?
- What impact could sharing my data with this App have on others, such as my family members?
- Will the App permit me to access my data and correct inaccuracies? (Note that correcting inaccuracies in data collected by the App will not affect inaccuracies in the source of the data.)
- Does the App have a process for collecting and responding to user complaints?
Selecting an App and Registering
To begin the process of registering, you'll first need to select an application. To select an app, visit the Apple or Google Play stores to get started.