FARGO, N.D. – In an ongoing response to the COVID-19 pandemic, Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Dakota (BCBSND) continues to expand its support by waiving out-of-pocket costs for members needing inpatient or outpatient treatment for COVID-19 through October 31, 2020. This was a decision made by BCBSND’s Board of Directors, which is made up North Dakotan health care providers and consumers.
In addition, BCBSND is extending coverage (through October) for the following services:
- Coverage of medically necessary COVID-19 tests
- Early refills on prescriptions
- No out-of-pocket costs for telehealth visits (both COVID and non-COVID related visits)
- Services to support member wellbeing, including online exercise classes, mental health programming and financial planning support
As of August 31, 2020, BCBSND members have incurred $38.8 million worth of claims related to COVID-19. By waiving cost shares for these claims, its estimated that BCBSND has paid $2.5 million on behalf of its members. In addition, the BCBSND Caring Foundation has donated $150,000 of COVID-19 related emergency funds to local nonprofit organizations across the state.
“Unfortunately, we are continuing to see positive cases rise in North Dakota and we want our members to know, we are right here with them, ready to make sure they receive the care and support they need,” shared Dan Conrad, BCBSND President and CEO.
Conrad added, “We are particularly concerned about the mental health and wellbeing of the many across the state that are facing unique challenges – juggling distance learning and work commitments, reduced or lost wages, isolation stemming from social distancing, and many more. Expanding coverage and services for telehealth visits, online exercise classes, mental health programming and financial planning support is intended to provide greater access to these services during this uniquely challenging time.”
Wellness offerings to all BCBSND members include:
- Free access to Wellbeats, an online library of high-quality, engaging fitness classes for all levels and ages, from children to seniors. Classes are streamed on-demand from a mobile devise or tablet.
- Free access to Learn to Live, a confidential, step-by-step online program that members can access from the privacy of their own homes. Through self-paced, hands-on learning, members can learn the skills to conquer social anxiety, depression, stress, insomnia and substance abuse.
- Free access to Enrich, an interactive tool for learning about financial wellness. It offers courses on budgeting, student loan repayment and much more. Get personalized money plans or use the mortgage and loan calculators to plan your future.
Out-of-pocket costs include incremental medical co-pays, deductibles and co-insurance charges related to treatment for COVID-19 and will be paid at in-network rates. Treatment may include in-patient hospital admissions and outpatient treatment for the virus.
Exclusions apply for self-funded plans. Please visit www.BCBSND.com/coronavirus for detailed coverage information and programming details.
About Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Dakota
BCBSND (www.BCBSND.com) was founded in 1940 with the mission to provide members with affordable access to health care across the state. As a member-owned, not-for-profit independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association (BCBSA), BCBSND is committed to transforming care and health across the state to improve outcomes, lower cost trends and make it easier to shop, buy and use health care coverage. Members have access to unmatched local service and to a comprehensive network of health care providers across the state, the nation and in 200 countries.