The Caring Foundation continues to build on efforts to support health and well-being throughout North Dakota. As evidence continues to grow showing that where we live and what services and supports are available have a significant impact on our health, we will be investing additional resources at the community level to strengthen opportunities to build collaboratives that invest locally to enhance healthy lifestyles, address service gaps and promote health equities.
The Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Dakota (BCBSND) Caring Foundation will provide a limited number of one-year grants annually of up to $50,000 to North Dakota communities and organizations undertaking efforts to support health and community-based wellness and prevention. With the addition of our CaringforCommunities SPARK grants, our goal is to enhance collaborative efforts and community involvement that results in long-lasting change.
- Invest in community-based initiatives that will support access and opportunity leading to improved habits and healthier lifestyle.
- Strengthen capacity for effective collaborations, coalitions, and partnerships to improve health status and outcomes.
- Expand efforts by local leaders, community health, and communities to improve health equity and access.
Project examples could include, but are not limited to:
- Raise awareness and enhance behavioral health and suicide prevention.
- Limiting the use of tobacco/nicotine/vaping products.
- Implement community, school gardens and farmers markets to increase access to fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Improve access to physical activity by enhancing bike trails and adding mileage signs.
- Enhance the usability of streets for all modes of travel, for all ages and abilities.
- Address barriers to preventative screenings and improve health equity and access.
- Reduce high-risk drinking and related negative consequences among high school and college students.
- Programming for chronic conditions to improve health, including education, support groups, meal planning, and wellness activities.
- Assess and enhance community services that help older adults remain in their homes.
Please note requests for grant dollars cannot be used to directly fund a full-time employee position at your organization and may also not be used to fund capital campaigns.
Also, if you have already received dollars from other grant funds from BCBSND Caring Foundation during the 2021 calendar year you are ineligible to apply for additional funding this year.
These grants are awarded through a competitive, two-step process: 1) a Letter of Intent, 2) a Grant Application.