As your organization monitors and responds to the COVID-19 virus pandemic, BCBSND is also taking steps to ensure that you and your employees have coverage for quality care if needed. These steps include:
Coronavirus testing and treatment
- BCBSND will waive any cost-sharing, including co-pays, deductibles and co-insurance for CDC-recommended laboratory testing of COVID-19.
- BCBSND will also waive cost-sharing for an in-network provider office visit, urgent care center and emergency room visit when testing for COVID-19 (waiving cost-shares may be done on a retrospective case-by-case basis).
- Subsequent hospital stays associated with COVID-19 will be covered according to a member’s current health benefit plan.
Coverage applies to all BCBSND plans, including self-funded groups.
Early refills for prescription medications
- BCBSND has increased access to prescriptions by allowing pharmacies to refill prescriptions earlier than typically allowed. Keep in mind that most plans allow members to fill maintenance medications for up to a 90-day supply through local or mail-order pharmacies.
- BCBSND now allows pharmacies to waive “refill too soon” limits.
- We are working with our pharmacy benefit manager, Prime Therapeutics, to monitor a possible shortage of raw materials for prescription drugs.