On Monday, Sept. 11, 2023, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved and authorized emergency use for the updated Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccines. These vaccines have been updated to include a monovalent (single) component that corresponds to the Omicron variant XBB.1.5. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) recommends everyone six months and older get an updated COVID-19 vaccine.
Vaccines, including the COVID-19 vaccine and booster, are now a part of the wellness benefit and will be covered by BCBSND at no extra cost when received by an in-network provider.
Six New CPT Codes Effective Monday, Sept. 11, 2023:
- 90480 - COVID-19 Vaccine Administration
- 91318 - COVID-19 Vaccine, 3 mcg/0.2 mL
- 91319 - COVID-19 Vaccine, 10 mcg
- 91320 - COVID-19 Vaccine, 30 mcg
- 91321 - COVID-19 Vaccine, 25 mcg
- 91322 - COVID-19 Vaccine, 50 mcg
The below CPT codes will be termed as of Wednesday, Nov. 1, 2023, and providers will need to use one of the new codes:
- 91312, 91313, 91314, 91315, 91316, 91317
- 0121A, 0124A, 0134A, 0141A, 0142A, 0144A, 0151A, 0154A, 0164A, 0171A, 0172A, 0173A, and 0174A
Visit the COVID-19 Vaccine Provider Toolkit for more information.
Contact our Commercial Provider Service Center at 1-800-368-2312 for additional information.