Coverage is subject to the specific terms of the member's benefit plan.
Polyarticular Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis (PJIA)
Psoriatic Arthritis (PsA)
Interleukin (IL)-17 Inhibitor
Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)
Janus Kinase (JAK) Inhibitors
XELJANZ (tofacitinib) 5mg TAB or ORAL SOLUTION
T-cell Costimulation Blocker
ORENCIA (abatacept) - 125 mg/mL syringe
The use of abatacept (Orencia) IV may be considered medically necessary when ALL of the following criteria are met:
- The individual must meet recommendations found in the FDA label or compendia (e.g., diagnosis, age, dosage, frequency, route); and
- Abatacept (Orencia) IV must be prescribed by, or in consult with, a specialist in the area of the individual’s treated diagnosis; and
- The individual must have had a three (3)-month trial of a preferred agent from each class approved for patient’s diagnosis, as evidenced by paid claims or pharmacy printouts.
The continues use of abatacept (Orencia) IV may be considered medically necessary when ALL of the following criteria are met:
- The individual has previously been approved for abatacept (Orencia) through Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Dakota's precertification process; and
- The prescriber has provided documentation that the individual has demonstrated disease stability or beneficial response to therapy; and
- The individual must continue to meet applicable initial criteria.
Abatacept (Orencia) IV for all other indications not listed in this policy is considered experimental/investigational and therefore non-covered because the safety and/or effectiveness cannot be established by the available published peer-reviewed literature.