Coverage is subject to the specific terms of the member’s benefit plan.
Federal Employee Program members (FEP) should check with their Retail Pharmacy Program to determine if prior approval is required by calling the Retail Pharmacy Program at 1-800-624-5060 (TTY: 1-800-624-5077). FEP members can also obtain the list through the www.fepblue.org website.
The use of crizanlizumab (Adakveo) may be considered medically necessary to reduce the frequency of VOCs in sickle cell disease when the individual meets ALL of the following criteria:
- The individual is sixteen (16) years of age or older; and
- The individual has a diagnosis of sickle cell disease; and
- The individual has a history of VOCs; and
- EITHER ONE of the following:
- The individual is currently receiving hydroxyurea therapy, and hydroxyurea therapy will continue with the addition of crizanlizumab (Adakveo); or
- The individual has experienced a therapeutic failure, intolerance, or contraindication to hydroxyurea therapy.
The use of crizanlizumab (Adakveo) for any other indication is considered experimental/investigational as the published peer reviewed literature does not support its efficacy or safety for any other indications.