Some services, procedures, and equipment requires precertification before the service is performed. The ordering provider is typically responsible for obtaining precertification.
- When a procedure, service or DME is ordered, use the search function below to check precertification requirements associated with the member's contract. For best results, double check the spelling or code you entered.
- If the item indicates "precertification required," submit your request through Availity Essentials. You can use this resource guide to help.
(No access to Availity Essentials? Complete and fax or mail the inpatient or outpatient authorization request form.)
- If you see no results for the code or search term entered, precertification is not required. Instead, refer to the medical necessity guidelines in the BCBSND medical policy.
NOTE: Any service that is potentially cosmetic does require precertification.
NOTE: Dental anesthesia and hospitalization for dental care, precertification is required for all Members age 9 and older.
NOTE: Repair of a covered wheelchair does not require pre certification. Benefits are allowed for repairs of latest wheelchair that has been covered by insurance.
Providers typically submit precertification requests on members' behalf. While not required for nonparticipating providers, it is appreciated by BCBSND members.
Precertification is not required:
- When BCBSND is secondary to other insurance, unless other insurance benefits have been exhausted
- For maternity admissions that result in delivery
- Medicare Supplement policies
NOTE: The search results listed do not apply to the Federal Employee Program (FEP). Please refer to the FEP website or contact FEP Provider Services.